8 Great Metabolism-Boosting Foods
It is often said that losing weight, burning fat, and getting fit is 85% what you eat, 15% how you work out. Eating more protein caused your body to burn more calories, especially as you are working out to build muscle and burn fat. Today we are going to focus on some of those great metabolism-boosting options out there that also provide great nutrition and eating habits.
The options listed here great sources of protein as well as some of those healthy fats most of us are missing.
- Avocado: 2 g protein per half avocado, and contains heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids as well as 9 essential amino acids.
- Fish: Averaging approximately 22 g of protein per 3 oz. fillet, salmon, tuna, and halibut are some of the most protein-rich foods you can target.
- Pseudo-grains: Choose from Quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat; these powerhouse grains have more protein that traditional grains at 5-9 g per cooked cup. Here are some great recipes to get you started.
- Asparagus: 4 g per cup, and packed with nutrition! Easy to quickly steam or grill, keep some on hand to chop and toss over salad.
- Tree Nuts: Almonds and walnuts are a great source of protein at 4-6 g in 2 Tablespoons! They can satisfy your “crunch craving” that often times leads you to chips or crackers. Keep some on hand for a quick snack and carry with you in your back to sprinkle over a salad at work. Try some of these tips to add them to your diet.
- Spinach: Packed with iron, vitamins, and 5 g of protein per cup, make spinach your “go-to green” at least a couple of times a week.
- Tofu: One of the highest sources of protein to add to your day at 12 g in 3 oz.! Try stir frying it with seasonings of your choice and crumble over salads, or mix into casseroles for a low-cal, protein-rich addition. Make sure to stick with organic sources to avoid GMO processed tofu.
- Eggs: 1 large egg contains 6 g of protein. Assuming you do not need to cut down on your cholesterol, here are some fun recipes to incorporate eggs in a variety of ways into your diet each week.
So be adventuresome this week and add some variety and protein-rich foods to your diet to boost your metabolism. Remember, doing so makes every moment working out that much more effective.