Five Delicious Foods to Help You Lose Weight
Weight loss – the effective kind with lasting results – is best achieved through a combination of exercise and a healthy diet. Eating protein and produce and cutting back on the processed carbs, processed foods, and sugar are nutritional habits that will help with weight loss. There are also several foods that can help you meet weight loss goals by making them a staple of your diet.
These five delicious foods can improve your health AND help you lose weight:
1. Olive Oil: Before the high fat content in olive oil worries you, you should know that it can actually help you lose weight because monounsaturated fats (which olive oil contains) can help you eat less. Monounsaturated fats help your body break down fats, which is why olive oil can help you lose weight.
Suggestions: Use olive oil for sautéing veggies or as a base in your salad dressing.
2. Eggs: Eggs are a great source of protein and a bit of healthy fat. They will fill you up and keep you feeling full and satisfied much longer than a standard breakfast of toast or cereal. They are also fast and easy to make.
Suggestions: scramble with a bunch of pre-cut veggies and a bit of Parmesan cheese for a quick and filling breakfast. Hard boil a dozen and eat them throughout the week as a grab ‘n go snack.
3. Berries: Not only are these tasty berries packed with antioxidants and fiber, they actually help lower your risk for diabetes and heart disease because they change the way your body stores sugars. Enjoy about ½ cup of berries each day. Studies show blueberries reduce the fat around your tummy. Berries are great for a sweet tooth attack and an easy grab ‘n go treat.
Suggestions: Add berries to smoothies. You can use frozen berries in place of ice cubes. Add berries to plain Greek yogurt as a sweetener. Mix a handful of berries with ¼ cup of nuts for a perfect protein/carb ratio afternoon snack.
4. Plain Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt has been trending lately as an excellent snack or breakfast item. Go for the low-fat yogurt, which is high in protein and probiotics (always look for “live and active cultures” on the label). The protein and calcium in Greek yogurt will help your body speed up its ability to break down fat, as well as speeding up your metabolism. The high protein content of Greek yogurt will also help protect your lean muscle mass – even better for a high metabolism. Plain Greek yogurt is much lower in sugar than regular yogurts, making it a much better option for your waistline.
Suggestions: Add honey or a few drops of liquid Stevia to plain Greek yogurt to sweeten it a bit. You can also add berries and sliced almonds for some sweetness and crunch. Also, sub plain Greek yogurt in recipes calling for sour cream.
5. Avocado: This delicious food is technically a fruit, with the seed on the inside. It’s fabulous for helping you lose weight, too, since it’s packed with fiber and healthy monounsaturated fats. Research suggests that a quarter or half of an avocado per day will improve your weight loss results. The fat in avocado will regulate your blood sugar and help you feel satiated, keeping your nutrition in check all day.
Suggestions: Make quick guacamole by combining half of a diced avocado, a bit of chopped sweet onion and a ¼ teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Dip freshly cut veggies or roll up a slice of avocado in nitrate-free sliced turkey for a high protein/low sugar snack.
If you’re looking for more tips toward healthy eating that’s weight-loss-friendly, make sure you check out our blog post on “Volume Eating For Female Fat Loss” from our sister site, Fit Healthy Moms. There are some tasty recipes included!