How To Do Breakfast, Better!
Today we’re going to talk about… how to do breakfast better. A lot of people skimp on breakfast because they’re either not hungry in the morning, or they’re just trying to get out the door – breakfast falls through the cracks. What happens when you don’t start your day with protein – and more specifically 20 grams of protein – is that your blood sugar levels and metabolism never really regulate, causing your body to not burn calories the way it should.
By having 20 grams of protein first thing in the morning, you’re setting the stage for having your blood sugar regulated throughout the day. If your blood sugar starts out well regulated throughout the early part of your day, it’s going to impact the food choices you make throughout the day, all day long. So I can’t over emphasize how important it is to have 20 grams of protein first thing in the morning. I know that Mocha and scone are screaming your name—but don’t do it!
Here’s how you can get 20 grams of protein in the morning per serving.
- 1. Steel cut oats with a half scoop of vanilla protein powder. (I’ve tried it with chocolate, and it’s not my fave.) Stir the powder into your oats. I add a little plain coconut or almond milk too.
- 2. Plain Greek Yogurt. Add a little bit of honey and/or fruit for sweetener and some nuts (which is bonus protein protein). Choose a low fat or full fat yogurt. My 2% has 22 grams of protein per cup!
- 3. Eggs! Super easy. You can do hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs. I like to do scrambled with black beans (which is more protein) and veggies. 3 eggs are 18 grams of protein.
- 4. Breakfast meats. I love the Applegate brand. Add to your scramble or just gobble them down on their own.
- 5. Who’s to say you can’t have steak or chicken! Have dinner leftovers for breakfast.
So there you have it! Some of the best ways to get your day started with 20 grams of protein. What are you eating in the morning to kick start your day?