Sync Fitness Recipe: Mango Marintated Tofu
This recipe comes from my June 15, 2009 newsletter. There’s nothing like a good mango. Grab them while they’re in season!
Yield: 6 serving
Here’s what you need…
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 large mangoes, chopped
- 1/4 pure maple syrup
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Dash of pepper
- Dash of salt
- 2 pounds extra-firm tofu, drained and sliced
- 1 mango sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into long slices
- In a medium saucepan combine the oil, garlic, ginger and onion, saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the chopped mango and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup and vegetable broth, cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, lime juice, orange juice, allspice, pepper and salt. Allow the mixture to cool and then puree in blender until smooth.
- Place the sliced tofu and mango marinade in a sealable plastic bag or a plastic container with lid. Marinate in the fridge for one hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the marinated tofu in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, reserving half of the marinade. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip over the tofu. Coat the remaining mango slices and pepper slices in marinade and add to pan. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice and steamed broccoli.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 219 calories, 1g fat, 7g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, and 9g protein.