Sync Recipe: Fresh Veggie Tacos
This recipe comes from my September 1, 2009 newsletter.
There is no question that these veggie stuffed tacos are both healthy and delicious. Fresh asparagus, sweet peppers, corn, onion, pinto beans and cilantro create a tasty blend of flavors. To increase your protein intake feel free to throw in strips of lean chicken breast. Serve with sliced avocado and a side of salsa. Servings: 6
Here’s what you need…
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sweet peppers, chopped (red, yellow, orange or all three!)
- 3 ears of corn, kernels shaved off
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 chopped cilantro
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Place the olive oil and garlic in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about three minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the asparagus and continue to sauté , stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and continue to sauté , stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, beans and cilantro and sauté for 5 more minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. *Note: Make sure you don’t overcook the vegetables. You want them to be tender but not too soft.*
- Remove from heat. Place a scoop of the veggie mixture in each tortilla and top with sliced avocado. Serve with your favorite salsa.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 308 calories, 8g fat, 46g carbohydrate, 13g fiber, and 12g protein.